Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Overdose and a Surprise for Cully


Last night someone at Detroit Children's Hospital made the mistake of giving Cully an overdose of ACTH, the drug we are so frantically trying to get out of Cully's system. He received a dose 5 times over what he should have gotten. Medical staff learned this late in the night and Cully was hooked up and tested again and again. The team has had close eyes on him but we are not seeing anything of the overdose at this time outside of an increase of cortisone and blood pressure. Because of this mistake we have lost the ability to continue the aggressive ween that began two days ago and now must increase his intake of ACTH and begin a ween that will take much longer. This is horrible for Cully.

Cully has not improved yet and he continues to hold fluid and is unable to do much of anything but lay on his back.We are not getting any better yet.

Today Cully has an amazing surprise and so did mum. My grandson whom we have not yet met. I surprised them by bringing lil Jaxon and my daughter to the hospital. I walked in with a handful of clothes for mum and acted as if I were about to drop them. Mum rushed over and lifted the clothes from my hand and found her beautiful grandson Jaxon in my arms. Cully's reaction would make a linebacker cry. We laid Jax down next to Cully and while he was unable to turn his head and look at him, his arm reached around him and he stroked Jaxon's hair, played beep the nose and held his tiny hand. The smile on Cully's swollen face was priceless and for a moment he was a very very happy boy.

6 comments:

  1. Seizure mom in Maine sending tons of prayers your way. His smile is quite fabulous. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining Cully's army Heather. Cully has done a fast turn around and is having a great day.

      Delete
  2. What a horrible setback! I'm so sorry that little Cully is going through so much. That moment in the photo truly is precious and priceless. Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, we are having a great day. Cully surprised us all and is making big steps towards getting better. I will try to post all the great news soon. Doesn't that smile just make you melt?

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry for the setback. My daughter had a horrible reaction to ACTH also, so I am keeping your adorable son in my thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah and thank you for joining Cully's army.... I hope that your daughter is doing well. Hope to learn more about her. This is one scary drug isn't it...
      We are having a much better Cully day.....

      Delete